Here's a story coming out of Arkansas - the Aspirnaut Initiative, launched in April 2007 in the Sheridan School District, equips students with laptop computers and iPods and allows them to take online math and science courses while traveling to and from school.
This pilot program spans three years and seven objectives. These are to establish:
- A Differentiated Program for High-Ability Students
- A One-Room Satellite School in the Community
- The Concept of “School-Begins-on-the-Bus”
- Teaching Awards
- A Professional Development Program for Secondary School Teachers
- College and Secondary School Scholarships
- A Non-Profit Organization to Secure and Administer Funds
How could this work in your district?